Picadillo is a popular beef dish made with a delicious sauce of tomato, pepper, onions, garlic & spices, typically served over white rice with fried or sweet plantains.
1 pound ground beef
1 large white onion, diced
1 cup green pepper, seeded & diced
1 potato, peeled & diced
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 /2 cup white cooking wine (Vino Seco)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
In large skillet, saute ground meat, onion, pepper and garlic in large skillet over medium heat with a small amount of oil until meat is browned. Drain fat if necessary.
Add tomato sauce, potatoes, wine, vinegar and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over medium low for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
1. Variation: Add 1/2 cup raisins
2. Variation: Add 1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives
3. Variation: Add 1/4 cup diced pimentos
4. Variation: Add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
5. Leave out the potatoes & use the left overs for empanadas or taco filling