- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey breast
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (buy organic to cut down on the sodium)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained (buy organic to cut down on the sodium)
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chili powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 oz) Mexican beer – such as Corona or Presidente – adds a great flavor
1. Add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven, and saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium-high heat. Add in the turkey and break up with a wooden spoon while cooking for 5 minutes, or until all the turkey turns white (no longer pink). Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
2. Cover, turn down the heat to medium-low, and cook on medium for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3. Ladle into bowls, our favorite topping is shredded cheese and chopped red onion and of course a few saltines.