Ingredients for dough:
- 1 cup hot water (lukewarm)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
Ingredients for herb topping:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 5-8 pressed garlic cloves
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water; allow to foam (about 5 minutes).
- Add yeast mixture to dry ingredients; mix until smooth. On a lightly floured surface knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat top, cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 400 ° C. Press dough out to edges of pan and leave again for 10-30 minutes.
- Make random indentations over top of dough.
- In small saucepan, heat the olive oil, then add herbs and garlic. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds, watching not to burn. Remove from heat, drizzle over bread, spread with back of spoon and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- When bread comes out of oven, lightly brush with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese while it’s still warm. Cut into wedges or tear into serving portions.
- Enjoy with the olive oil & balsamic vinegar recipe at top!
Makes 4 servings.
*Tasty Tip: Cover the base of a flat saucer liberally with olive oil. Make a small puddle of balsamic vinegar in the center of the oil. Take a generous chunk of your freshly baked Foccacia and dab at the center, getting a coating of olive oil and a slight glaze of vinegar. Enjoy!