Tortilla’s have become the 2nd most popular bread type, with sales estimated at $950,400,000 in 2008…wow that’s a lot of tortillas!
- Mission Foods is one of the leading tortilla producers in the United States.
- Gruma, the parent company of Mission Foods, revolutionized the tortilla-making process by creating Maseca corn flour that allowed for convenient mass production of corn tortillas while preserving their authentic taste.
- All of Mission Foods tortilla plants are kosher.
- The word “tortilla” comes from the Spanish word “torta” which means round cake.
- According to Mayan legend, tortillas were invented by a peasant for his hungry king in ancient times. The first tortillas, which date approximately 10,000 years before Christ, were made of native corn with dried kernel.
- NASA has used flour tortillas on Space shuttle missions since the 1980s. They use tortillas in the place of bread because of the easy clean-up and because the bread crumbs can cause a lot of trouble in space.
- Flour tortillas are a low-fat food and contain iron along with other B vitamins. They have about 115 calories with 2 to 3 grams of fat per serving.(3)
- Corn tortillas are a low-fat, low sodium food and contain calcium, potassium and fiber. An average serving contains about 60 calories and only 1 gram of fat.(4)
For quick, nutritious and versatile meal solutions the entire family can enjoy, log onto www.missionmenus.com.