The best thing about these eggrolls is that you can make them out of shrimp, crab, chicken or just veggies. They are crispy without the added calories of frying.
Ingredients for the Spring Rolls:
2 ounces of deli ham, finely sliced
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of ginger
3 tablespoons of garlic
2 cups of shredded cabbage mix
(green & red cabbage with carrots)
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined & diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of Thai Chili paste
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
pack of spring/egg roll wrappers
(found in produce section of grocery store)
Ingredients for the Sauce:
1 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sweet rice wine
1 teaspoon ginger
1 scallion, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cook the ham & shrimp in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add ginger, garlic & scallions, & cook for about 2 more minutes.
4. Turn off heat. Add cabbage, Thai paste, cilantro, soy sauce & vinegar & toss.
5. Wrap the spring rolls.
6. Pierce each roll with a toothpick several times to prevent bursting.
7. Mix 1 teaspoon vegetable oil & 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil to brush over egg rolls.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the rolls & bake an additional 8 to 10 miutes until golden brown.
Also serve with jar duck sauce sold at grocery stores.
I made them once & forgot to brush with the oil prior to baking – the egg rolls did not cook through complete and were a bit chewy. Not good!
Substitute crab or chicken for the shrimp