Cheesy Carrot Casserole Recipe our Thanksgiving Side Dish
This is a family recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation. I remember the first time I tried carrot casserole – it was the first Thanksgiving we celebrated with my husband’s side of the family. Having celebrated every Thanksgiving with my Latin family, we always had a few dishes that weren’t so traditional so having my first New Jersey thanksgiving was a little of a culture shock. From the moment I saw the carrot dish, it peaked my interest because I noticed more cheese than carrots (and how can that be a bad thing! Every Thanksgiving since then, we always make sure to have Grandma B’s Carrot Casserole – it is a great side dish ! If you are looking for something sweet, check out our Maple Carrot Recipe.
Cheesy Carrot Casserole
- 1 steamer basket
- 4 cups carrots sliced into small chucks & steamed
- 1 1/2 cups plain croutons small ones
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp Worchester Sauce
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel and slice carrots into chunks
- Boil water then put the steamer basket to the pot. The water surface should be right under the basket.
- Add the carrots (in the steamer basket and cover the pot with a lid. Then steam for about 4 to 5 minutes until the carrots are just crisp tender. Let the carrots cool.
- Mix all the ingredients together and bake @ 400 degrees for 20 minutes