Delicious appetizer. Rather than making my own crust, to save time I buy a frozen pie shell, and cut to size. The recipe below makes 6 individual tartlets.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 ounces of goat cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1 cup heavy cream
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees
2. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray
3. Take frozen crust and cut pieces large enough to cover the bottom of each muffin cup
4. In a skillet add butter, oil,onions & sugar. Cook onions on medium low heat until caramelized (15 to 20 minutes)
5. Add scallions and chives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
6. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic & salt.
7. Add cooked onion to egg mixtures.
8. Pour into muffin pan.
9. Break up goat cheese & sprinkle onto each.
10. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden on top.
- Variation – Add chopped, cooked bacon before baking.
- For low carb diets, cook without crust
- Sprinkle fresh herbs into egg mixture – try parsley, thyme or rosemary
- This recipe only makes 6 mini-tartlets. Double for 12 mini’s or 6 in a regular size muffin ponion