Ingredients for Scones:
- 2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (76 grams) cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream or milk
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
Ingredients for Topping:
- Strawberry jam
- Whipped cream
- Mix together sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture, making sure the butter is cut into small pieces. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, a beaten egg and the whipping cream. Add this mixture to the flour and stir until combined. Do not over mix.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Using parchment paper, line a cookie sheet.
- Gently knead the dough on a floured surface. Roll it out into a 7” inch circle, making sure it is about 1 ½” inches thick. Using a 2 ½” inch cookie cutter or glass, cut the dough into 8 circles and place them on the cookie sheet. Glaze the scones with a mixture of well-beaten egg and a tablespoon of milk.
- Bake the scones for around 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Sift icing sugar over the tops of the scones and place them under the broiler, just until the sugar has melted. It will burn very quickly, so keep a watchful eye! Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool, then serve with whipped cream and strawberry jam. Enjoy with a cup of tea or orange juice!
Makes 8 servings.
Ohhhh, my daughter was just asking if we could make scones … I think it was meant to be! Printing the recipe now!! 😀