This is a traditional New Years dish. Great on top of nachos or pita chips. Although we did not include in the recipe below, we like to add a can of corn, a diced avocado, fresh lime juice, as well as cilantro.
Black eye peas recipes are considered a Lucky Food for the New Year but now you can eat them year-round.
Texas Black Eyed Peas Caviar Dip
This Texas Black Eyed Peas Caviar Dip (also known as Texas Caviar) is a classic and easy dip recipe. Our favorite thing about this recipe is that it is ready in about 5 minutes!
- 1 Bowl
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 Anaheim or jalapeño pepper stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 15 oz cans black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 4oz jar pimento peppers drained
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper cored, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cilantro or Parsley
- Dice celery, jalapeño pepper, yellow or orange pepper, green and red onions. Chop Cilantro or Parsley .
- Drain canned black-eyed peas
- Add all ingredients to a bowl
You can also use a mixture of beans. Instead of 3 cans of black-eyed peas – mix it up and use black beans and pinto beans as well. Adding in celery, cilantro, parsley, red pepper, onions Pair it with tortilla chips